Candy Apple Red (CAR) finish. Solid Maple body, laminate maple bolt-on neck, rosewood fingerboard. Two type VIIIB humbuckers, passive circuitry. The Gibson Victory custom is a two pickup version of the passive Victory Standard - both have a series/parallel switch giving two distinct tones. Available from 1982-84.
| Master volume control|
 Bass control 0 to 10
 Treble control 0 to 10
 Pickup selector switch
 Series/parallel switch
up - coils in series, down - coils in parallel
Need to see under the scratchplate? Gibson Victory circuit photos | Gibson Victory Custom schematic
The Victory Custom was equipped with two type VIIIB humbuckers, upright in the bridge position, and slanted at the neck. The Victory range was fitted with a new bridge TRI-4 wedge bridge, and previously unused Schaller open gear machine heads.
The serial number 82642607 tells us that this bass was stamped on the 21st September 1982 (day 264). 607 tells us that this bass was made at the Gibson Nashville plant (Kalamazoo numbers start at 0, Nashville numbers start at 500), and was the 107th instrument stamped that day.
These sound clips are recorded directly into a mobilepre preamp. Recorded with round wound strings. Pickup volumes on 10. There are two distinct pickup modes on the Victory Custom bass, coils in series which gives the "most powerful, fatest sound", and coils in parallel which gives a "clean, piano bass tone". See the pickups and Victory Standard Controls sections of the 1981 Victory owners manual - although the Custom is not described, it follows the same basic principle as the Victory Standard.
- Ringing growl both pickups - coils in parallel - bass 10, treble 10, played with a pick
- Fat growl both pickups - coils in series - bass 10, treble 10, played with a pick
- Bridge bridge pickup - coils in series - bass 10, treble 10
- Mellow Victory neck pickup - coils in series - bass 10, treble 10. This ultra mellow sound is achieved by playing fingerstyle over the last few frets of the neck
- Mellow 2 neck pickup - coils in parallel - bass 10, treble 0
You can compare these soundclips to the other Victory bass models on the Victory bass soundclip page